Tuesday, November 11, 2008
From Board to Bored!
For the last nine years I have served on the board of directors for a charitable foundation, THE BRANDEN LOMBARDI FOUNDATION. This foundation was started by Branden Lombardi himself when he was 19 years old and in the midst of his own battle with cancer. Branden and I met when he was a chemotherapy patient of mine at the cancer center where I worked. At 17 years of age he was the youngest patient I ever treated. We immediately developed a close bond. He would come in on a regular basis and while he was receiving treatment he would bring in video games to play. The other patients were so bored while receiving their treatments they would sit and watch him play his games. He saw a need and he was determined to fix it. Branden organized a golf tournament to raise money to provide amenties for the patients of our cancer center. With the money raised we set up a library with a computer with internet access, brought in cable television, DVD players, DVD's, CD players, books and music on CD, snacks and donated money to a massage therapy program. The patients now had things to do to keep their minds off what they were going through. Branden wanted to do this for all cancer centers and that is how the foundation got started. I have enjoyed the time I have spent on the board but felt after 9 years it is time to move on to something new. This last Sunday Valerie, Branden's mother held a brunch at her home to thank me for my service. It was nice to see most of the board members there. I am going to miss working with all of them but still plan to help out at the tournament every year. If anyone would like information on the foundation you can go to theblf.org.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Gailine,
I miss all of you out there in Maricopa. I don't live far from everyone, but it seems to be not as convenient to see each other. It is good to keep in touch this way. Gailine, you are always so good about bettering yourself and serving. You are an awesome example and a great mom. Nicholas looks so old to me. He really is a good looking young boy.Take care ans miss you tons.
Love Lisa
How neat! I didn't know the background of the foundation. That's so neat that you've had such a positive impact and made a difference.
Post a Comment