Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mom is Santa Real?

There is one detail about Christmas that I left out. Let me start by saying that as a child my parents told me the truth about Santa from day one. Therefore I am not practiced in the art of Santa storytelling. Well about 3 weeks before Christmas Nicholas began questioning me about Santa. Last year I had to tell Nicholas that I could call Santa to make a change to his Christmas list. When he asked if he could talk to Santa I told him that Santa only talks to adults. Well this year he started with the questions again. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to lie but I wasn't sure if Nicholas was old enough to hear the truth. I called a couple of people and then decided it was the right time to tell the truth. WRONG!!!! Nicholas started crying. I felt like such a horrible parent. I then tried to save the day by saying if you want you can always believe in your heart. Through his sobbing tears he said, "I WANT TO BELIEVE". In a way I am relieved that I don't have to make up any more stories but I am also sad that this little piece on innocence is lost. I guess the bright side is we can now focus on the true meaning of Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gailene, I didn't know you had a blog! Exciting! So about the Santa thing, Gavin told me before Christmas break that Nick didn't believe in Santa and that he told everyone in class this. I just told him that, it was sad that he didn't believe in Santa because when you don't believe in him he can't bring you anything. I believe its every parents right to tell their kids what they want about that, just probably a disclaimer that it's ok for others to have different beliefs about it. I'm sure you told him that, and I'm not upset by any means. Just telling you about that because it sounds like he was really thinking about it before he asked you. I was aweful and spoiled it for my brother when he was five. I was in 2nd grade and told him, he didn't believe me so I went as far as having him fake sleeping with me and waiting for our parents to come out and fill our stockings. He saw it first hand and we got caught. My dad went to our disconnected phone and said he was going to call Santa and tell him what we did and tell him to come back and get our gifts back. I wasn't threatened by this because I knew the phone didn't work so it just solidified my theory, but my brother bought it. Oh well. Intersting. Happy New Year.

Gailine said...

I'm sorry if Nicholas spoiled things for anyone.